Thursday, January 19, 2012

Trophies That Last

At the tender age of 11, on a dare from a friend, I entered a city-wide football skills contest in my hometown of Anderson, SC. I competed against boys all over town to see who could punt, pass and kick a football the farthest and straightest.

To my complete surprise, I won. I went on from there to compete at the state level, and again, to my surprise, I won. 


Over the next few years, I kept winning (though I never played organized football). And each time I won, they gave me a cool trophy. These were the heavy trophies, made of solid metal, not cheap plastic. And everybody didn't get one. Only the winners did. These trophies showcased bronzed, oscar-like statues, worthy of the sport the depicted.

The good 'ol days.

Fast-forward many years later. I came home from work one day to discover my son, who at the time was about 8, had accidentally broken one of those trophies while playing. Oops.


But to my son's surprise, his dad wasn't angry or even upset. I mean, come on. It was a stupid trophy. It could be repaired. And my relationship with my boy trumped any material possession I've ever owned. So instead of the broken relic from my childhood alienating us, it actually gave me a chance to bond even tighter with him.

We've been bonding ever since.

So what about your relationships? Are you experiencing a broken communication with someone right now? Is the friendship busted up? Bruised? Scarred? Still stinging from a wound received? Maybe someone you know you need to forgive, or someone you need forgiveness from?

If you can still recite the "Lord's Prayer", pay special attention to that "trespasses" part. Think about what you're saying when you quote it. After all, it is a prayer. A request for God to do something. Come to think of it, is there anything you've ever done that God has refused to forgive you for?

I didn't think so.

So, by faith, you can now choose to extend grace, and forgive that person. Or call them up and make things right. It doesn't mean you forget. It just means you extend to them the same grace and mercy God has extended to you.

The son I mentioned earlier will soon be 23 years old. He'll graduate from West Point in a few months. He's long since forgotten about that broken trophy incident. And so have I. But our relationship glue is still strong. Stronger than I ever dreamed it could be.

BTW, before I put it back in a box or on a basement shelf, I've decided to go get that old trophy repaired.

Just to remind me that things broken can be mended.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed what you purchased to repair that trophy is called "J-B Kwik". With your dad's name being "J.B.", that product's name struck me as being very ironic... or rather symbolic. I think a lot of good things you know about being a dad were learned from your own... J.B.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment